Come to downtown Grand Rapids for a monthly celebration of art and creativity. All events are open to the public and free unless noted.
- FRAME UP
Join Frame Up in welcoming Ken Wagner whose furniture comes straight from the woods. Using twisted limbs, large slabs, and even lilac branches he creates rustic treasures.
- VFW POST 1720
Presenting live jazz with Sam Miltich and Friends. The featured guest is Dave Karr on saxophone who will join Sam, Matthew Miltich on bass, and Jay Epstein on drums. Open to members and the public. 7 – 10 pm.
- CENTRAL SQUARE MALL
- CRAFTED BY ITASCA LIFE OPTIONS
Empowering artists of all abilities! Each piece of artwork was made by a person with a developmental or physical disability. Stop in and see their latest creations and great gift ideas.
- MALL CENTER COURT
Stop by the Central Square Mall to meet Kathy Oakley, Twin Cities poet (wife of Steve Oakley class of’ ’68). She’ll be signing her book of collected poems, “ Incense Drifting to the Horizon,” and will also offer a short reading at 5:30pm. Love lost and gained, family, football, and cabin topics, in witty and accessible poems. Stop by to listen or just say hello!!
- BENDER’S SHOES
Benders Shoes will be hosting Laura Ann, a young seamstress and designer. She will be showcasing her latest sewing/design work, “The Costume Lab.” Laura has been sewing since she was 11 and loves to express her creativity through her designs. Open til 6 pm.
- MACROSTIE ART CENTER
Presenting two new exhibits for May including large watercolor paintings by Austin Stiegemeier and the annual Little Big Show miniatures exhibition featuring Lea Friesen and over 50 additional artists. With music by Marina Whight, food and wine, and artist talks at 6 pm.
- THE LAKE + CO SHOP
MN author Lindsay Bednar is back with the launch of her newest addition to the Cozy Nook Book series, “Cabin”. There will be a reading at 5:00 pm and 6:00 pm, plus 25% off baby and kids items, and a chance to win a giveaway!
- BREWED AWAKENINGS
May’s featured artist is Stephanie Davis presenting mixed media works. The evening will include music by Grant Edwards from 4 – 6 pm.
- OLD CENTRAL SCHOOL
Old Central School presents an Earth Month Themed First Friday Event with art, food, wine, and activities throughout the building.
- True North Salon and Spa is partnering with Emily Bujold of Slurp Straws to host a water bar! Stop into True North for all the details!
- The Friends of the Grand Rapids Area Library are hosting a Pop-Up Book Shop filled with hundreds of gently used books. All proceeds benefit special Library projects and programs.
- Grand Rapids Area Earth Circle will be showcasing art made from recycled objects with information on how to create pollinator gardens. Free popcorn, lemonade and coffee will be available.
- Celebrate the 2019 Leafy Greens World Tour with One Vegetable, One Community – Itasca County! Decorate your own row marker, try some greens, and take some seeds home to plant.
- RE: Thrift is a pop up thrift store offering a variety of vintage and gently used clothing and home goods!
- Wine Creations will be offering samples.
- MDI will offer insight into the world of recycling.
- Baby Steps and Step Ahead Clothing Co. will be holding a children’s coloring contest!!
- MNDNR Division of Ecological and Water Resources staff as well as Division of Forestry staff will be on hand to showcase the local Scientific and Natural Areas and private land owner information.
- Free Range Food Coop will be selling t shirts and talking about becoming an owner!
- Embrace Mental Health is celebrating the healing power of art with youth artist Teya MacDowell and Simple Things Jewelry and Art.
- Wildland Fabric will be offering reusable bags made from a beautiful variety of fabrics.
- Itasca Waters will be giving away copies of the 2018 Shoreland Guide for Lake Stewardship and providing information on the new Shoreland Advisors program.
Grand Rapids High Schools “Green Team” will be engaging community members on the importance of environmental friendly practices through education, awareness, and action.
- The Girl Scouts will be hosting an art project for kids
- WillowSedge Farm offers locally-raised meats; Grass-fed beef and lamb, pastured pork and poultry — outstanding flavor from happy animals will be available for purchase in the OCS parking lot!
- Ashley Goodman has her own line of organic and vegan skin care including an itch balm made from the plantain in her yard!
- Kent Lorentzen will be offering homemade lefse and crafts such as cribbage boards and other wood art.
- Apothecary Chocolate will have handmade artisan raw chocolate available in a variety of flavors!
- Artists in the Attic will include Mary Corwin and Leah Yellowbird in studio for the evening
- MacRostie Art Center and ISD #318 will be displaying artwork on the 2nd floor created by area 4th graders working with local artist Lea Friesen. The pieces will include sculptures, handmade books, and storytelling, and the project was supported by a 2019 Arts Learning grant from the Minnesota State Arts Board.