Come to downtown Grand Rapids from 4 – 7 pm for a free, family-friendly community celebration of art and creativity.
Join Blandin Foundation to celebrate the installment of Niibii, a new mural created to honor what local people love most about living in the Itasca area. Artist Leah Yellowbird will be on-site to talk about the inspiration behind the project. Blandin Foundation staff will give tours of the building and the artwork throughout — including a new exhibit of works by George Morrison.
2. FRAME UP
Come visit with recently retired art teacher Diane Levar, best known for her watercolor paintings, who has recently started working in oils.
3. VFW POST 1720
Presenting live jazz with Sam Miltich and Friends. Featured guest Dave Karr on saxophone will join Sam on guitar, Matthew Miltich on bass, and Jay Epstein on drums. Open to members and the public. 7 – 10 pm.
4. WINGS ‘N WILLOWS ART GALLERY AND CUSTOM FRAMING
Proudly welcoming Dave Browne. Dave is a visual artist in weaving, painting, and sculpture. He has degrees in visual art, art history, and art education. Dave will show panoramic landscapes inspired by where the land and water meet sky.
5. LAKE LOVER VINTAGE
Welcoming Carol Bowman Photography with an expanded collection of nature and wildlife photography as prints, cards, coasters, sun catchers, bookmarks and other products. There will be signed copies of Carol’s book “Tucked Under” available and refreshments.
6. PROJECT CARE FREE CLINIC
Showcasing artists Nelia Harper Lari (Larissa) True. Check out Nelia’s contemporary impressionist paintings and Lari’s wooden mosaics that she sells through her business 45 Degrees North. Plus outdoor artist vendors and a bonfire if weather permits!
7. RURAL ARTS & CULTURE SUMMIT DINNER
Stop by the parking lot at the corner of Hwy 2 and 1st Ave NW (old Kremer’s lot) to find food trucks, beer and wine, and art activities. Live music by Not Your Average Family Band and No Rest for the Pickers. Dinner tickets are $15 and can be purchased at MacRostie Art Center.
8. TINY SCHOOL OF ART & DESIGN
Join artist Heidi Jeub to make your own creation at her mobile art school.
9. GRAND RAPIDS AREA COMMUNITY FOUNDATION
North Shore landscape painter (and GRHS graduate!) Dave Gilsvik will be showing his oil paintings and demonstrating a quick paint.
10. CRAFTED BY ITASCA LIFE OPTIONS
Empowering artists of all abilities! Each piece of artwork was made by a person with a cognitive or physical disability. Stop in and see their newly remodeled studio and shop and check out the artists’ latest creations.
11. BENDER’S SHOES
Hosting local artist Collin Clough. Collin carves highly detailed, realistic wood carvings, primarily of birds. He is a self-taught carver who studied mounted birds and pictures of birds, and learned his carving techniques from books.
12. HOPPERTONS’S MOCCASIN AND GIFT
Guest artist Serenity Barden is a realism oil painter who is driven to authentically capture the world around her. She has been creating realistic paintings since 2017, capturing life like landscapes, still life, and portraits.
13. MACROSTIE ART CENTER
Presenting “Beyond Borders,” an Indigenous Invitational exhibit in the MacRostie Gallery and illustrations by Stephanie Frey in the Minnesota Gallery. With food by Nana Chelle’s Café, plus wine and other refreshments, and artist talks at 6 pm.
14. HISTORIC CENTRAL SCHOOL
- FELT HERE Join artist Shanai Matteson on the lawn to try dyeing, felting, printing, with natural materials.
- SELF IMPROVment Catch the local improv crew in action on the lawn from 5 – 6 pm.
- BUCKANAGA SOCIAL CLUB Check out the contemporary fashions of this up and coming design collective.
- IRON RANGE ARTS MAP The Iron Range Tourism Bureau and the Creative Communities group unveil their new map of artists, studios, art centers, and creative spaces across the Iron Range.
- RANGE FIBER ARTS GUILD Stop in to see demonstrations in weaving, spinning, felting, and other fiber arts by this collective of artists from across the Iron Range.
- ARTISTS IN RESIDENCE Visit the Artists in the Attic on the 3rd floor: Mary Myers Corwin, David Dobbs, Whitney Leming-Salisbury, Leah Yellowbird.
15. BREWED AWAKENINGS October will feature art by youth from the Ground Floor Youth Center. Music by singer-songwriter Michaela Smith from 4 – 6 pm.