There’s A LOT going on this month! Check out the Google map of events and locations!
Special Event: Shakespeare in the Park presenting “The Taming of the Shrew” at 6:30 pm on the Central School Grounds. Bring a blanket or lawn chair!
1. MACROSTIE ART CENTER Presenting botanic art in the MacRostie Gallery, turned wood by Bob Carls and printmaking by Jerry Riach in the Minnesota Gallery, demonstrations by artist Vicki Barth, and a special presentation by Dr. Gerald Niemi on birds of the boreal forest at 6 pm.
2. BENDER’S SHOE & SPORT Hosting Paul A. Losik with Shaker and Mission style furniture with simple lines and flowing curves. Paul likes to build using solid, figured woods such as black walnut, claro walnut, birdseye maple, curly sugar and red maple, and curly black cherry. 4 – 7 pm.
3. THE YARN GALLERY Welcoming guest artist Nancy Vernon demonstrating spinning. She will have a great wheel (the type Sleeping Beauty met her fate with) & will be showing how to use different wheels to create beautiful yarns!
4. STAINED GLASS WITH CLASS September’s First Friday reception will showcase the handmade greeting cards of Carolyn Latimer from 4 – 8 pm.
5. WHISPERING WOODS GALLERY Featuring Artist of the Month Karen Olson with her nature-inspired pottery. Refreshments served!
6. GRAND RAPIDS AREA COMMUNITY FOUNDATION Get in the fall spirit with OktoberFest accordion music by Derek Peterson from 5:00 – 6:30. Serving German snacks and maybe even some limited-time-only OktoberFest sausage from Tikes!
7. VFW POST 1720 Music by Sam Miltich and Friends with special guest vocalist Helen Miltich Kaul from 7 – 10 pm.
8. JENNY & COMPANY Featuring “Rag Rugs by Mary” with unique rugs made from recycled materials (bedding, linens, drapes, clothing, and more). The rag strips are machine stitched and woven and the warp is doubled to create a strong and durable rug.
9. WINGS ‘N WILLOWS ART GALLERY & CUSTOM FRAMING Presenting the intriguing collage art of Karlyn Atkinson Berg. Her compositions are creatively arranged from a variety of mediums and materials. Karlyn graduated from the Rhode Island School of Design and attended Pratt University.
10. FRAME UP Introducing the art of Kellie Rae Theiss to the Grand Rapids area. Kellie says “the reason I paint is to share my enthusiasm for and love of the animal kingdom and make a connection with others who feel the same or perhaps plant the seed in others…”
11. ITASCA COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY ICHS is hosting children’s photographer Lou Augusta and author Mark C. Anderson signing his book “The Case of Couch and Meredith.” Refreshments served. 4 – 7 pm.
12. BREWED AWAKENINGS September’s featured artists are “The Crows” – a group of six watercolor artists — with music by singer/songwriter Steve Larson, a dinner special until 6:30 pm, and complimentary coffee and cookies.
13. GRAND RAPIDS AREA LIBRARY Hosting a Riverfront Energy Center Open House from 4 – 6 pm. Learn about the solar sunflower, tour the Energy Center, view a model wind turbine developed by ICC engineering students, & more!